We've started using Cocoapods at work, and it seems like a really great system. However, it is written in ruby, and I hypothesize that it would get more participation from the community if it was written in Objective-C. Also, since Cocoapods is a specification as well as a system, it would benefit from a separate (though in this case not clean-room) implementation. Thus, I'm going to rewrite Cocoapods in Objective-C and blog about my journey along the way.
Thankfully, Cocoapods looks pretty modular, and it looks like it has good tests. I'm starting with CLAide, which is Cocoapods' command-line aide. This has RSpec tests, which I know nothing about, but I can generally figure out what they're doing just by reading the text.
Tonight, I just wanted to start something. I wasn't too concerned about crazy progress. I simply cloned CLAide and figured out how to run the existing RSpec tests. I found the .travis.yml file with a script command that looked promising, so I tried running that, and installed required gems (bundler, rspec) until it worked.
Next, I just converted the first two tests in the first spec (argv_spec.rb). I'm doing at least one commit for each test I convert. Also, I'm keeping all this work on a separate branch. Eventually, I'll just have a parallel Foundation command-line tool project that I'll keep up to date.
Tomorrow, I'll tackle the first real piece of parsing necessary. Hopefully, I'll have ARGV converted by Sunday night.